When I married Kevin, I didn't know he was going to turn out to be such a great dad. I mean, I had a general idea: he had the potential, the right upbringing and example, and good priorities. Still, I figured we would have some time to figure out the whole parenthood deal. But that stage came... very quickly! and the wonderful man I married stepped into his new role with renewed wonderfulness.
They say that the best thing that a father can do for their children is to love their mother (even if it was Hallmark who said this, I support the notion). Through morning sickness, late night strolls, many -no, I don't want to take the metro because it makes me sick- episodes, two sleepless weeks, he kept a positive and encouraging attitude. He picked me up from school, ate whatever I left like eating, and went with me to every doctor's appointment. I am likely forgetting about many other things since it has been a year already. He handled the noodle pregnancy beautifully, loving me more than himself every step of the way, and I will always be thankful for that.
The Pax is a lucky kid. He has never felt not included. Since before the could realize what was going on, he was talked to about economics, sovereign debt, international affairs. I remember the day I walked in the door to find Kevin and Pax sitting on the couch, with a book covering the baby so that I could only see his feet. Daddy reading away. Baby fascinated. (Pax has since abandonced his calm reading disposition and has instead set on a quest to eat any book put in front of his eyes.)
Pax has never felt not wanted. When Kevin comes home from work, he looks for us in the house: "Hola?". Unless he finds Pax eating, he takes him and resumes playing. Paxton's first smiles and laughs were with daddy. He can really set him off! It is not as funny now, but ever since Pax was very little, Kevin would say something like "we will be in the basement watching cartoons." I had to think again before realizing he was talking about him and Pax. As a duet, they work pretty well. I have never felt uneasy leaving them alone. Kevin can bathe, change diapers, feed, rock to sleep - you name it. He is daddy super star technicolor coat.
I am thankful for the dad my sweet husband is. Happy first Father's Day Kevin! I am sure excited for the years to come.
Such a sweet post, Milu. Those Smith boys really know how to do it, don't they?
ReplyDelete